Jason Scull

Jason Scull

Jason Scull, born in 1958, grew up on the fringes of the South Texas Brush Country in a farming and ranching family. His ancestors were early settlers arriving in Texas in the mid-1820s where they ranched, raised families, fought wars, and carved a place in the American West. This heritage has framed and influenced his sculpture since he began pursuing art.

A member of the Cowboy Artists of America, Scull first attended Texas A&M University where he studied animal science before returning to the family ranch to work with his father raising registered Hereford cattle. In 1986, he returned to college to pursue a degree in architecture, only to be side-tracked by art classes and a desire to paint. A chance trip in early 1987 to the Cowboy Artists of America Museum in Kerrville, Texas provided an opportunity to attend a sculpture workshop. He has been pursuing this art form ever since. His work can be found in private, museum, and corporate collections throughout the United States, Canada, and England.

He has completed several monumental sculptures including a sculpture of early Texas Ranger John C. “Jack” Hays located on the Hays County Courthouse lawn in San Marcos, Texas; an equine group of three running horses and a colt for Gaylord Hotels in Grapevine, Texas; and most recently, a life size Spanish Colonial Vaquero and Longhorn Cow and Calf for the City of McAllen.

Jason and his wife Dianne make their home near Kerrville, Texas.