The Briscoe Western Art Museum is now open and ready to bring the vibrant history and stories of the West to life through art and artifacts. Under the current directives of The Governor’s Report to Open Texas, the Briscoe is operating at 50 percent capacity. The museum’s safety protocols include:
Masks, Sanitizers and Cleaning
- All museum staff will wear masks onsite.
- Beginning on Monday, June 22, per Bexar County Executive Order NW-10, all visitors will be required to wear face coverings.
- Additional hand sanitizer stations have been placed throughout the museum.
- Museum staff will be continually monitoring and cleaning all public areas, including handrails, doorknobs, elevators, bathrooms.
Safe Admission Purchases
- The museum’s visitor admissions desk will feature plexiglass shields to protect staff and visitors.
- Tickets may be purchased in advance online to limit in person interaction.
Limiting Guest Capacity
- To safely welcome guests, the Briscoe will monitor attendance through ticket counts, limiting admission as necessary. Security personnel will also monitor galleries in person and by video to ensure social distancing guidelines are maintained. If the museum reaches capacity, guest traffic will be stopped until enough guests exit to safely allow further admissions.
- The Briscoe’s elevator, designed to assist with artwork and exhibition installation, offers a larger capacity than standard elevators. However, only one family will be allowed at a time.
- The Briscoe’s Museum Store has altered its floor plan will limit admission to ensure guest safety. A plexiglass shield will allow for safe transactions.
Closed Interactive Displays
Following the guidelines, all interactive media and displays will remain closed, including the museum’s touchscreens and audio devices. The museum’s theater will have limited seating and signage limiting viewing to one family at a time.
The McNutt Sculpture Garden
The museum’s beautiful outdoor courtyard featuring bronze sculptures depicting iconic figures of the American West will be open for guests to enjoy. Cleaning protocols have been implemented to ensure guest safety.
The Jack Guenther Pavilion
The Jack Guenther Pavilion is now booking new events and working with clients to ensure the event complies with the local and state orders. Event planners and may schedule a private tour for future event planning by contacting the Jack Guenther Pavilion sales team here.
The Briscoe San Antonio Library Portal
The San Antonio Public Library (SAPL) portal at the Briscoe is currently closed. Visit the SAPL website here to learn more about reopening.
For museum hours and admission, click here.