Holiday Cookie Ornament
Molasses Cookies Recipe by Kathy Badger
Baking and decorating cookies are longstanding holiday traditions. The oldest records of Christmas cookies date back to Europe in the 1500s. Some people even used cookies as decorations rather than for eating. People cut out images from magazines or hung their cookies up like ornaments. Follow the steps below for a traditional holiday cookie recipe.
STEP 1: THE INGREDIENTS
1 c. sugar
1 c. shortening or butter
1 c. molasses
1 heaping tsp. baking soda dissolved in 1 c. warm water
1 heaping tsp. each cinnamon and ginger
6 c. flour, plus more for kneading
½ tsp. salt
¼ c. powdered milk
STEP 2: MAKE THE DOUGH
- Using a hand mixer or standing mixer, cream together the sugar and shortening, scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally until well combined.
- Add molasses, eggs, and soda water. Mix on low until combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together dry ingredients.
- Pour into wet ingredients and mix until combined, adding extra flour, if necessary, to make a soft dough. Be careful not to add too much flour. You want a very soft dough, just firm enough to be handled.
- Roll the dough out to between ¼” and ½” thick, and cut out with cookie cutters.
STEP 3: BAKE
- Bake on greased cookie sheets at 375⁰ for 8–12 minutes, or until just barely browned around the edges.
- Let cool completely on a rack, but be sure to eat a few while they’re still warm!
- These cookies freeze really well if they don’t all get eaten before you have a chance to wrap them up.
STEP 4: DECORATE
Decorating cookies can be as simple or complicated as you like. You can add a layer of frosting, ice them with intricate patterns, print out holiday images with edible paper and ink, or even use cutout pictures from magazines.
STEP 5: COOKIE ORNAMENT
- Punch a hole in the cookie with a skewer or chopstick.
- Make sure the hole is big enough to pass twine through it.
- Tie a knot.
- Disclaimer: We do not recommend eating any cookie ornaments that have non-edible decorations.
Click here to download the PDF.