THE ROAMING BISON
One of the best-known animals of the West is the American bison. Bison roamed the plains long before explorers set foot in the Americas, and people hunted them to provide themselves with shelter, clothing, and nourishment. Follow the steps below to recreate this torn paper landscape scene, complete with roaming bison.
STEP 1: GATHER THE MATERIALS
- Bison template
- Poster board
- Wiggle eyes
- Construction paper (blue, yellow, green, and white)
- Black marker
STEP 2: CREATE THE BACKGROUND
- Glue the blue paper to the poster board.
- Tear the yellow paper in half and glue it to the bottom section of the board.
- Tear a smaller piece of green paper and glue it to the bottom section of the board. Now you should have three sections, the sky, mountains, and grass.
- In the sky section, use the white paper and glue to create clouds and a sun.
- Draw in details on the background.
STEP 3: THE BISON
- Cut out the bison template. Trace it onto brown paper and cut it out.
- Place the bison shape on the page and glue it down.
- Glue on wiggle eyes and draw details such as horns, hooves, and a tail.
BECOME A MEMBER
Help us bring the spirit of the West alive by becoming a Briscoe Partner!
Click here to become a member!
SUPPORT THE MUSEUM
Governor Dolph Briscoe and his wife Janey envisioned a Museum that would preserve the stories and traditions of the American West.